Back To Top

Take your education further as you explore the world and experience new cultures through D'Youville's study abroad program.

D'Youville's study abroad experiences offer students an opportunity to explore new cultures, see the world, and discover new ways of learning. Designed to fit into your academic program, our study abroad trips take students across the globe.

Find resources on this page to plan your study abroad or contact us with questions.

Study Abroad Programs and Resources

CAPA Programs

CAPA Affiliate Programs (Fall, Spring, and Summer Semesters)

Explore CAPA international series, programs, and information. 

Next Steps to Apply

  1. Complete the DYC Study Abroad Application (PDF).
  2. After acceptance by DYC, complete the CAPA online application.
  3. Meet with your academic advisor.
  4. Meet with the Financial Aid Office:
    Email: Nitasha Seth

USAC Programs

Fall/Spring Only Programs

Summer Only Programs

Fall/Spring/Summer Programs

Faculty-Led Programs

Faculty-Led Programs

Spring 2022

Florence, Italy - Nutrition and Dietetics

Course: DTC 210 SA, DTC 389-01SA
Location: Florence, Italy
Dates: May 14 - 24, 2022
Contact: Dr. Kathleen Border,
Information: Click the link below.
Food & Culture Trip

Next Steps to Apply
  1. Contact the faculty leader to discuss the application process and course enrollment.
  2. Meet with Financial Aid: James Nowak

Exchange Program


Each year a student from Northern Ireland is chosen to be able to study at D'Youville through Study USA (SUSA), formerly known as the Business Education Initiative (BEI). As a thank you for the hosting of SUSA students, Northern Ireland Institutions offer a limited number of spots in the Irish American Scholars Program.

Next Steps to Apply

  1. Complete the D'Youville Study Abroad Application.
  2. After acceptance by D'Youville, complete the exchange program application with assistance from the Center for Global Engagement.
  3. Meet with your academic advisor.
  4. Meet with the Financial Aid Office.



CAPA Scholarships

The following scholarships and grants are available for students participating in the CAPA-Led Programs to Buenos Aires, Dublin, Florence, London, Shanghai, or Sydney. These scholarships are not for students participating in non-CAPA programs to these destinations.

To be eligible, you must be in the process of applying for a CAPA program. A separate scholarship application and documentation may also be required by the deadline listed. See each individual section for more details on the application process.

It takes the Scholarship Committee approximately 3-4 weeks to review applications and render decisions. Students will be notified in writing by email of their status approximately 4 weeks after the scholarship deadline. Students should be prepared to commit to the program regardless of whether an award is received. Generally, scholarship money is credited to the program invoice and not given out as cash.

View CAPA Scholarship Information

External Scholarships

External Scholarships

The Gilman-McCain Scholarship is administered under the framework of the U.S. Department of State's Gilman International Scholarship Program.  Named after Senator John S. McCain of Arizona, the Gilman-McCain Award is a congressionally funded initiative of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.  This scholarship honors the Senator McCain's legacy of public service by enabling U.S. undergraduate children of active duty military to develop the leadership and career readiness skills through studying or interning abroad.  All scholarships are $5,000 each and students must be receiving a form of federal financial aid.

Register for live informational events from September 18 - 24, 2019. If you are unable to attend, a recording will be available on the Gilman advisor resources page

AIFS Minority Scholarships are awarded one per semester, full tuition for an AIFS study abroad program. One hundred AIFS International Scholarships are awarded annually – $1000 toward an AIFS program.

American Association of University Women is the largest source of funding exclusively for graduate women in the world. The organization supports aspiring scholars around the globe, teachers and activists in local communities, women at critical stages of their careers, and those pursuing professions where women are underrepresented.

Association of Commonwealth Universities provides lists of scholarships and fellowships to and from over 480 universities drawn from the Commonwealth countries of Africa and Asia, Australasia and the South Pacific, Canada and the Caribbean, the United Kingdom, Cyprus and Malta.

British Council lists funding and scholarship information for study in the United Kingdom.

Fulbright Scholarships are for both Americans going abroad and incoming foreign students. Grants are made to citizens of participating countries, primarily for: university teaching, advanced research, graduate study and teaching in elementary and secondary schools.

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education. This program seeks to lower barriers to undergraduate study abroad by offering scholarships to students with financial need, and we encourage those underrepresented in study abroad to apply. The award is up to $5,000 for semester or academic year programs.

International Education Financial Aid is the premier Internet resource for financial aid information for students wishing to study in a foreign country. At this site, you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist students in their pursuit to study abroad.

National Security Education Program offers undergraduate scholarships to U.S. citizens of up to $16,000 for summer, semester or academic year study abroad.

The Ambassadorial Scholarships Program of The Rotary Foundation is the world's largest privately funded international scholarships program.

At, high school, college and university students can search from thousands of unique scholarships, bursaries, grants and other forms of financial assistance. It's free, private and personalized.

Global Studies Foundation Student Grant is designed to support foreign language training and other academic studies abroad. This grant provides supplemental funds for American students who are already studying abroad under the auspices of an official study abroad program conducted by an accredited academic institution. The foundation is particularly interested in funding the study of strategically significant countries and languages. Grant recipients are expected to share this experience with others upon his or her return, ideally, with multiple audiences and varied media.

The Joan Nelson Scholarship ($2,500) assists members who participate in a study abroad program. Joan Nelson was a beloved Golden Key advisor, dedicated board member, mentor, leader and friend to many in the Golden Key community.

USAC Scholarships

USAC offers many different scholarship options for student participating in their programs.  These schoalrships are not for students participating in non-USAC programs (in bold).  Their scholarship options include Access Scholarships, General Scholarships, Program-Specific Scholarships, and USAC discounts for returning students.

To be eligible, you must be in the process of applying for a USAC program.  A separate scholarship application and documentation may also be required by the deadline listed.  See for information on each of the scholarships.



Frequently Asked Questions

Where does D’Youville have Study Abroad Programs?

Through affiliation agreements with CAPA and USAC, D'Youville offers many programs each fall, spring and summer semesters. Through the Irish American Scholars program, D'Youville offers an exchange program in Belfast, Northern Ireland.  D'Youville also offers shorter faculty-led summer programs. These programs vary from year to year.

What are the differences between affiliation, exchange and faculty-led programs?

Exchange programs involve the exchange of students between D'Youville and a university overseas. Each student will pay their usual D'Youville tuition and will pay the exchange university the costs for room and board. Affiliation means you will travel overseas with a third party provider that D'Youville has a signed contract with.

You will pay the cost of that program, which will include your tuition and housing, through your student account at D'Youville. You will remain a registered D'Youville student and receive credit through D'Youville. Faculty led programs are much shorter in duration and currently run only in the summer. You will be registered for the particular course that is tied to the faculty led study abroad program. You will pay D'Youville summer tuition and additional fees will be charged to your student account for the study abroad experience.

Who is eligible to study abroad?

Semester Affiliate Programs

If you have maintained a grade point average of at least 2.5, you are probably eligible to study abroad, but please check with the Center for Global Engagement. You should also discuss your plans to study abroad with the academic study abroad coordinator, Dr. Paola Kersch and with your academic advisor. They can help you decide which semester is most academically appropriate, and which program offerings are best suited to your major

Faculty-Led Programs

Each faculty led program will have its own application and selection criteria. Please check with the faculty leader that is listed as the contact for the program you are interested in attending.

When should I start planning my study abroad experience?

Many people begin their search the semester before they plan to go away. We recommend starting the planning process as early as your freshman year or at least 9-12 months before you plan to study abroad. This will help you academically prepare for your semester away and give you ample opportunity to research and apply for outside scholarships.

How do I apply?

Applications can either be picked up in person from the Student Success Center or download the Study Abroad Application.
Study Abroad Application (PDF).

Will I Need a Passport and a Visa?

Every student studying abroad will require a passport, but not every student will require a visa. Visa requirements will depend upon the country of study and you will be responsible for obtaining the appropriate visa. The Center for Global Engagement and your program provider will provide valuable advice and assistance. Please be aware that some students may have to travel to the nearest embassy or consulate and appear for the visa interview in person. A passport is mandatory before application for a visa.

Will I Need Health Insurance?

Yes, it is mandatory for each D'Youville study abroad student to have international health insurance. Study Abroad will enroll you for insurance.  The insurance is included in the study abroad fee.

When are applications due?

 Program Due Date
Summer Program March 1
Fall Program April 15
Spring Program October 1
Exchange and Faculty-led Programs Application deadlines for the exchange and faculty-led programs vary from year to year. Please check this website for up to date information on each location.

Can I use my financial aid?

D'Youville will allow you to use your institutional merit scholarships and financial aid for the affiliation and exchange programs, but please make an appointment with Director of Financial Aid, to discuss eligibility and requirements to discuss eligibility and requirements.

Are there outside scholarships available?

There are many outside scholarships available. We have compiled a list of scholarship opportunities. If you are studying on a CAPA affiliated program, there is an opportunity to apply for up to a $5,000 scholarship. More information and applications can be found at  If you are studying with USAC, there are scholarship opportunities as well.  You can find more information at

Do I Need to Speak a Foreign Language?

No. Some of the affiliated programs offer language instruction if you choose to register for those courses.

What Types of Housing Options will I have?

Living accommodations will vary depending on the program and country you are choosing to study in. Some students will live with host families, others in dormitories on campus and some will live in off-campus apartment-style housing. More information about housing is available through Study Abroad.

Is it Safe to Study Abroad?

Study Abroad maintains close contact with its overseas affiliates and exchange institutions to help ensure the personal safety and security of each of our study abroad participant. We will review health and safety concerns during our pre-departure orientation and answer any questions you may have. There are also on-site program directors and personnel available to assists students at any time.

How will Studying Abroad Affect my GPA?

If you are studying through any of the affiliation or faculty led programs, your courses and grades will appear on your transcript and will be counted towards your GPA.

WilL Studying Abroad Affect my Graduation?

If you plan carefully with your faculty advisor and the study abroad academic coordinator to receive approval for your courses taken abroad, studying abroad should not delay your graduation.

How Can I Get More Information?

 Contact us for an appointment.


Mandatory Health Insurance

Each D’Youville student, faculty or staff that participate in a sanctioned study abroad program through D’Youville will be automatically enrolled for health insurance which includes political and medical evacuation. This is included in the study abroad fee. You will be e-mailed from the provider with pertinent information on how to access your account online.

Contact Us

The Center For Global Engagement

Location: Student Success Center 1st floor BFAC

Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Sarah Cockcroft,
International Student Coordinator
Phone: 716-829-7874